From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Sound... a known method to track down problems
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 13:17:09
1 Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl> writes:
2
3 > The VIA 8237 is an onboard sound chip. I have one myself. As such, it's
4 > controlled by the BIOS. Since you have previously not used sound on this
5 > machine, it's within the realm of possibility (imo) that you disabled
6 > the sound chip in the BIOS, which -- if that was the case-- would
7 > possibly explain why the card is not being found when you actually try
8 > to use it.
9 >
10 > Have you checked, or would you check your BIOS and confirm that the
11 > onboard sound is enabled there?
12
13 Have not, but will on next reboot. However the chances are slim to
14 none. This box only began its career as a gentoo box a few weeks ago
15 when my existing box gave up the chase ... a disk controller problem I
16 was to dumb to solve and scrapped the whole thing.
17
18 This box (athlon64 +3200) was previously an winxp video crunching
19 (Edit and transpose) box. And had sound working all the time.
20
21 I've made no changes bios wise. But will report what I find later.
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list