From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem trying to play sound when pulse audio is enabled
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 03:17:43
1 On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 7:56 PM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >> > Hi. I have not used pulseaudio at all, but with gnome 3.8 I guess it
6 >> > must be there, but when I try to play a sound using either mplayer from
7 >> > the console which works fine withalsa, or even aplay, I get no sound
8 >> > unless I change the /etc/pulse/client.conf to spawn=no .
9 >>
10 >> Unless you have a very specific setup, you should not need to touch
11 >> the files under /etc/pulse. Also, are you trying to run the
12 >> system-wide PulseAudio service? Because that's basically wrong:
13 >>
14 >> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/WhatIsWrongWithSystemWide
15 >>
16 >> > Anyway to fix this?
17 >>
18 >> If you are running PA as a normal user (as you should), then perhaps
19 >> the per-application volume for MPlayer is muted. While playing
20 >> something with MPlayer, go to Settings -> Sound, then select the
21 >> Applications tab, and there should be a volume slider for all the
22 >> applications using audio. Just adjust as necessary.
23 >
24 > I got no sound when pa was run as a user. I am running these apps from
25 > the console -- apps such as aplay or anything which uses alsa. So I
26 > can't adjust any volumes under gnome, etc.
27
28 OK, then the real problem is that you had no sound with PA running
29 with your user. Get back to user mode (check out the link I posted;
30 almost *nobody* should run PA in system mode), and check the volume
31 levels (again, Settings->Sound). Perhaps it was something as simple as
32 a muted check box.
33
34 Regards.
35 --