From: Jeff Cranmer <jcranmer01@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] realtek 8197 wireless card setup
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 01:53:03
1 -----Original Message-----
2 >From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
3 >Sent: Dec 22, 2007 2:01 PM
4 >To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 >Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] realtek 8197 wireless card setup
6 >
7 >On Saturday 22 December 2007, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
8 >> On Saturday 22 December 2007 10:30:45 am Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
9 >> > > I think I'm getting closer now.
10 >> > > I removed the driver from the kernel, and installed ndiswrapper.
11 >> > > I got the inf driver from a guy from realtek, and used
12 >> > > ndiswrapper -i drivername.inf to install it.
13 >> > >
14 >> > > Now, when I run
15 >> > > iwlist wlan0 scanning, I can actually see my access point listed, plus
16 >> > > lots of other local wireless networks.
17 >> >
18 >> > That's good. It actually receives.
19 >
20 >Yep, you're half way there. The radio communication part of the equation
21 >seems to be working.
22 >
23 >> > > connecting to it is a different matter, however, as the connection
24 >> > > always appears to time out. I'm using iwconfig to manually set the
25 >> > > ESSID, wep key etc. at the moment, and have tried the trick of setting
26 >> > > the speed manually to 5.5M to avoid timeouts.
27 >> > >
28 >> > > When I try to run dhcpcd wlan0 the first time, I get Error, wlan0:
29 >> > > timed out The second time I try to run it, I get an error because
30 >> > > dhcpcd is already running.
31 >
32 >Try to kill it first (dhcpcd -k) and then re-run it. I would run with
33 >defaults (re. channel, speed, etc.) and perhaps only add a small delay in
34 >your /etc/conf.d/net to allow the device to come up:
35 >
36 >sleep_scan_wlan0="1"
37 >
38 >> > Try the minimal approach first and configure it manually using
39 >> > ifconfig/route and ping some host on your network (or the AP if it does
40 >> > IP). If that does not work, there's something wrong with the driver, if
41 >> > it does, the culprit is dhcpcd (vram USE flag?).
42 >>
43 >> Just to clarify, how would I ping a host on my network? I only have one
44 >> other PC connected to the router.
45 >
46 >You use the LAN IP address of the router/host. I don't know what options
47 >Belkin gives you, can you turn on responses to pings (ICMP packet requests)
48 >both on the router and on the other PC?
49 >
50 >> If that is not possible, due to wireless router firewall stealthing (I have
51 >> a rather crash-prone Belkin wireless router at the moment), the next
52 >> attempt would presumably be to ping the AP.
53 >> If I have an AP MAC address, 00:15:E9:19:73:F2 (for example), how would I
54 >> ping this?
55 >
56 >You could use arping (net-analyzer/arping) - but that assumes that the router
57 >accepts broadcast messages.
58 >
59 >> I have checked the dhcpcd install, and the vram USE flag is presently
60 >> unset. Does this flag need to be set?
61 >
62 >Well, it may need to be set depending on your router. Certain dhcpcd server
63 >implementations won't play nicely with the latest stable version of the
64 >dhcpcd client and you end up getting time outs and no IP address.
65 >Re-emerging with vram USE flag set solves this problem. Manually setting up
66 >an available/suitable static LAN IP address may also work (e.g. ifconfig
67 >wlan0 192.168.0.2).
68 >
69 >> > Start with WEP, if that works switch to WPA.
70 >>
71 >> I've given up on WPA for now. If I can get WEP to work, I'll be happy at
72 >> this point, though WPA operation would be the ultimate goal.
73 >> Is ndiswrapper meant to work with the 2.6.23 kernel? I don't want to have
74 >> to step down to an earlier kernel, as that causes problems with changing
75 >> Xorg configurations, but I could go through the pain of this if it were
76 >> strictly necessary.
77 >
78 >ndiswrapper works fine with this kernel. I would start with the dhcpcd vram
79 >flag to take this time out problem out of the equation and then I would edit
80 >the /etc/conf.d/net to set up all necessary parameters instead of having to
81 >enter everything via iwconfig at the command line. This will also minimise
82 >the chance of typos at the CLI. Following a process of elimination I would
83 >start with no encryption whatsoever at the router and if it works I would
84 >then gradually add WEP and finally WAP.
85 >
86 >PS. Assuming you get ndiswrapper going you can retry the in-kernel driver in
87 >future versions as it is likely that more and more devices will be added.
88 >
89 >HTH.
90 >--
91 >Regards,
92 >Mick
93
94 I tried recompiling with the vram USE flag set in dhcpcd, but that didn't help.
95 I then uninstalled ndiswrapper, and installed the modified rtl8187 driver from http://www.datanorth.net/~cuervo/blog/2007/09/26/no-more-vista.
96
97 SUCCESS!! :-D
98
99 Finally, I have a working wireless card. I've not tried WPA yet, but WEP definitely works. It isn't quite perfect, as knetworkmanager can't recognise the connection, and i haven't quite figured out how to implement the required startup script to run automatically, but it's up, and only requires a single root user command to execute.
100
101 Jeff
104 I think I'll give it a couple of kernels and see if the built-in RTL driver improves.
105 --
106 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list