From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nvidia-drivers problem on xorg 1.6.3.901-r2
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 12:33:29
1 Arnau Bria writes:
2
3 > I've rebuild my xorg-server with no hal support, I've upgraded my
4 > kernel to 2.6.30-r8 and rebuild "all" xf86 drivers/libs/proto
5 > packages:
6 [...]
7 > Then, I use nvidia-xconf for geenrating my xorg.conf file and looks
8 > like:
9
10 [...]
11
12 > Section "Device"
13 > Identifier "VGA"
14 > Driver "vesa"
15 > VendorName "Unknown"
16 > BoardName "Unknown"
17 > EndSection
18 >
19 > and when I start X, system goes really slow and I see some
20 > errors/warnings in X log file:
21
22 I would expect vesa to be quite slow. I don't know about nvidia-xconf and
23 where it comes from, probably because I do not have a nvidia card any
24 more. Does it really place "vesa" into the config?
25 What happens when you replace the "vesa" driver with "nvidia"? emerge
26 nvidia-drivers if not already done. If this fails, try "nv" instead, this
27 is the slower open source driver, which should be okay for 2D acceleration
28 at least.
29
30 > # grep EE Xorg.0.log
31 > to load module "freetype" (module does not exist, 0)
32 > to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
33 > to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)
34
35 I read something here about dri and dri2 some days ago, but don't
36 remember. I think they are not needed with nvidia-drivers or something
37 like that.
38
39 There is also X -configure which creates a new xorg.conf, but that
40 segfaults for some years on my machine.
41 And you could try with hal and no xorg.conf.
42
43 Wonko