From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pseudo first impressions
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 09:25:52
1 On Sun, 14 May 2017 02:05:58 +0100, lee wrote:
2
3 > > It will only remove things that it deems not needed. Usually these are
4 > > packages that have just been upgraded.
5 >
6 > Yes, the sources wouldn't be needed if I had upgraded the kernel. Still
7 > one might expect it to figure out which kernel is in use and to not try
8 > to delete it --- that would make some sense.
9
10 This is Gentoo, you have to make most of the decisions yourself. You
11 don't necessarily need the sources for the running kernel.
12
13 > > For kernel sources, tell portage to not remove it:
14 > >
15 > > `emerge --noreplace sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:4.4.52`
16 > >
17 > > as an example.
18 > >
19 > > If you do that, --depclean will not remove the sources for 4.4.52 (as
20 > > an example.)
21 >
22 > Thanks, I couldn't find an option like this.
23
24 It's in the emerge man page.
25
26 Alternatively, you can create a set that ensures no kernel sources are
27 ever depcleaned. Add this to /etc/portage/sets.conf
28
29 [kernels]
30 class = portage.sets.dbapi.OwnerSet
31 world-candidate = False
32 files = /usr/src
33
34 and add the kernels set to world with this
35
36 emerge -n @kernels
37
38 Now any kernel sources you install will not be removed until you
39 specifically instruct portage to do so.
40
41 > It worked --- now some time when I do upgrade the kernel, I somehow need
42 > to remove these sources from the world list, I guess ...
43
44 They will be removed when you manually unmerge the kernel
45
46 emerge -Ca \=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:4.4.52
50 Neil Bothwick
51
52 The sergeant walked into the shower and caught me giving myself a
53 dishonorable discharge. Without missing a beat, I said, "It's my dick
54 and I can wash it as fast as I want!"