From: Roman Zilka <rzilka@××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Why directories aren't files?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:48:11
1 > I was wondering why Linux doesn't treat directories like files, as many
2 > other unix implementations do.
3 > For example, in Linux, you can't do 'cat .' while on FreeBSD you can.
4 > Why? There is a practical reason?
5
6 I'd say it's not a matter of how Linux treats directories
7 (putting aside the problem of diverse filesystems), but how
8 coreutils or "cat", to be precise, treats directories. You could just as
9 well implement such a feature into 'cat' which would make it behave like
10 it does on FreeBSD when called on a directory. As to why Linux's "cat"
11 acts the way it does...try asking GNU guys.:)
12
13 Btw, in my place:
14 $ uname -a
15 FreeBSD howdy123 6.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #0: Wed Apr 5
16 12:22:42 CEST 2006 root@howdy123:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GORGO i386
17 $ cat .
18 cat: .: Is a directory
19 $
20
21 ...which is exactly the same behavior as on my Gentoo.
22
23 -rz
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list