From: Johann Schmitz <ercpe@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on Dell PowerEdge R715/R720
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 07:40:44
1 > We use Dell servers exclusively and have for 15 years. I think we're up
2 > to 400+ physical boxes now and the number of Linux-compatibility issues
3 > in all that time is exactly zero :-)
4
5 That's good to hear.
6
7 > If Dell sold server-class hardware that wasn't 100% supported in Linux,
8 > their sales would suffer badly, they have a strong business model around
9 > 100% Linux support in the data center. So the odds are very much on your
10 > side, but do your Google checks on the proposed hardware and verify.
11
12 You're right. But it's quite a difference to sell something which comes
13 with some Linux distribution installed and "works" and to have a system
14 in place which lacks a single but important feature just because it's
15 not one of the mainstream features.
16
17 > 1. Pick a server model that has an option to ship with RHEL
18 > pre-installed, this indicates 100% Linux compatibility.
19
20 That was one of the reasons why we're thinking about Dell server. They
21 offer SLES and RHEL as operating systems.
22
23 But again, often the last 1% of the hardware's features (like hardware
24 sensors) are only available if you use some creepy vendor software (like
25 OpenManage).
26
27 > 2. For VM hosts, look into the -R variant. We found them by pure chance
28 > end of last year, they are the same model but with some stupid large
29 > number of front drive bays (16?) mounted vertically. It's built with VM
30 > servers in mind. For some reason the price was cheaper than the regular
31 > R720 even with 16 drives installed! Maybe we just got lucky but nobody
32 > here was going to query a bargain like that :-)
33
34 Thanks for the hint!