From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sharing portage directories when dual booting x86 and amd64
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 21:58:55
1 On 5/24/07, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 >
3 > I have a core 2 duo (dell 6400), which is currently running x86.
4 > I am thinking of setting up another partition and dual booting amd64.
5 >
6 > My question concerns sharing some directories between the two
7 > (naturally only one is active at a time).
8 >
9 > In particular can I share
10 >
11 > * distfiles (DISTDIR)
12 > * logs (PORT_LOGDIR)
13 > * tmp (PORTAGE_TMPDIR)
14 >
15 > Thanks,
16 > allan
17 > --
18 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
22 You can probably share all of them, but just realize the distfiles for x86
23 won't be usable for amd64 and vice-versa (unless you're going to use an x86
24 distfile on the amd64 because there isn't an amd64 version available). But
25 let me ask you this: are you really that strapped for space to have to
26 share these directories?
27 --
28 - Mark Shields