From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] systemd
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 21:05:22
1 Ok then, separate thread ;-)
2
3 I just watched this:
4
5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyMLi8QF6sw
6
7 while I continued testing systemd in my VM.
8
9 The VM runs ~amd64, so far only a few services started (I still get my
10 head around how to enable/disable specific services/targets), and it
11 boots really fast.
12
13 I am not the ricer-kind-of-gentoo-users, but it impresses me anyway.
14
15 And I clearly see the benefits of socket-based-activation,
16 cgroup-control and other stuff systemd brings.
17
18 AFAI see the wiki mentioned is a starting point only.
19 It provides the first steps, but not much more, at least to me, right now.
20
21 -
22
23 There is a layman-overlay "systemd" which brings units (service-files)
24 to your system. AFAI understand it is still up to the user to
25 enable/link these files into their runlevel?
26
27 If it is that way it feels like a bit of trial-and-error to me to get my
28 systemd-setup doing the same things my current openrc-system does.
29
30 Especially for not-so-trivial stuff like the network settings for KVM
31 (bridging, TUN/TAP ...)
32
33 My approach would be to "rc-config show", take that list and try to
34 enable the according services within systemd.
35
36 Maybe I am completely wrong, maybe not.
37
38 I'd be happy to discuss these things with you gentoo-users.
39
40 Thanks, greets, Stefan