From: Roy Wright <royw@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] is it toast?
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:22:55
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 >I would bet a write-protect switch got flipped. Otherwise, yes, i
4 >think you have to replace it. I can't imagine how the other guy could
5 >have damaged it from your description of the events though.
6 >
7 >-Richard
12 You might want to try it on another computer before giving it up for lost.
13 Might even want to try it with *gasp - I can't believe I'm saying this*
14 windows.
15
16 I did manage to fry a USB port on my motherboard one night. It was
17 dark, I was
18 plugging a memory stick in the front connector, kind of a awkward reach.
19 Tried to insert it upside down. Apparently the stick's case shorted the
20 port's
21 pins. Soft crack sound. Whiff of burnt electronics. Sigh.
22
23 Point is that the USB ports are not fool proof.
24
25 - Roy
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list