From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: uvesafb - does it require use of initramfs/initrd?
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 07:42:32
1 On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:49 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > Does anyone here use uvesafb? I followed the instructions to install
6 > uvesafb from this page:
7 >
8 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/
9 >
10 > However, it does not work. Is it required to use initrd in order to
11 > use uvesafb? (because I don't use it...)
12 >
13 > the 80x25 looks absolutely horrible and I'd love to have something
14 > usable without needing to be in X. I have an nvidia geforce 9600GT
15 > card using the latest nvidia-drivers, and am on amd64 if it matters.
16 >
17 > Thanks,
18 > Paul
21 I'm ashamed to admit I made the most basic mistake. I compiled uvesafb
22 as a module. Oops! Compiled it as "Y" instead of "M" and now I have a
23 pair of Tux sitting atop my kernel boot screen and no more 80x25
24 horror. :)
25
26 Thanks,
27 Paul