From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} SSD instead of RAID1?
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 07:39:29
1 On 26 Jul 2009, at 11:46, Grant wrote:
2 > ... What if I bought a low-price/low-capacity SSD drive for each
3 > of these systems, installed the system essentials on them, and used my
4 > existing high-capacity HD drives for data storage? Would each system
5 > keep running if the HDs died? If so, I think that would offer as good
6 > or better system reliability than RAID1. What do you think?
7
8 You don't need to buy SSD "drives" - instead you could use CF cards
9 and a cheap adaptor. These are commensurate in capacity & cost with
10 USB flash drives (4gig, maybe 16gig?), but CF cards "talk EIDE" and
11 you can get cheap pin-convertors allowing you to connect them to EIDE
12 cables and treat them like a hard-drive.
13
14 I know of these used in Asterisk based PABX systems & PoS tills with
15 the expectation that they're more reliable than disks, and have read
16 statements by people deploying quantities of such machines that
17 they've never had a failure in years of use.
18
19 I don't know how that really compares to RAID 1 - if you use hardware
20 RAID (and you can get hardware SATA controllers for £50 these days)
21 then you can assign a hot-spare, and hot-swap a replacement drive with
22 zero downtime. With hardware RAID you can still boot if one of the
23 drives fails, but you do add the controller as a potential point-of-
24 failure.
25
26 Stroller.