From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Goodbye, Gentoo
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:44:11
1 On 31 May 2011 14:38, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 14:30 on Tuesday 31 May 2011, Alex Schuster
3 > did opine thusly:
4 >
5 >> Alan McKinnon writes:
6 >> > Apparently, though unproven, at 01:28 on Friday 27 May 2011, Kevin
7 >> >
8 >> > O'Gorman did opine thusly:
9 >> > > It looks like it's time to take Gentoo off of my main machine.  I feel
10 >> > > a little sad about it, or I'd just quietly go away.
11 >> >
12 >> >
13 >> >
14 >> > I know how you feel :-)
15 >> >
16 >> >
17 >> >
18 >> > I've tried to get away from Gentoo several times, and failed. The amount
19 >> > of work we all put into keeping things working is best described as "bat
20 >> > shit crazy", but we do it anyway. Maybe it's like a drug thing, we all
21 >> > need a daily fix or we need to prove we can still do it.
22 >>
23 >> I tried various distros (SuSE, Debian, Mandrake, Libranet, RedHat), but
24 >> when  I started using Gentoo, I was hooked. No fancy shmancy GUIs that
25 >> hide what's really going on beneath, and that often enough have their own
26 >> bugs so that it's easier to not use them. Rolling updates, no fear that
27 >> upgrades mess up everything. Good documentation, that explains what has do
28 >> be done and why, instead of just telling me what to do and where to click.
29 >
30 > That's what keep me on Gentoo for my own machines (bar one) and I have never
31 > needed to re-install it anywhere.
32 >
33 > But at work, things are different. Gentoo is banned from the -prod machines
34 > (the risk of some n00b admin running "emerge uND world" and walking away is
35 > too great, plus even just (deep) upgrading a single package is often more than
36 > a reasonable amount of work for someone who doesn't know portage.
37 >
38 > It's encouraged on -dev, mostly because I can change versions of almost
39 > anything with no hassle at all. A developer wants python-3.2 on a box that
40 > already has 2.4 and 2.7? No problem!
41 >
42 > I do run Ubuntu on the netbook, but I treat that like it was an Android device
43 > or a big web browser i.e. I don't try and get fancy and mostly stick with what
44 > the installer and apt want to do.
45
46 These days I install OpenSUSE, CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu on *other*
47 people's machines. I found out really early in the process of
48 becoming familiar with Linux that Gentoo is the only self-healing OS
49 for me. ;-)
50
51 I had to reinstall Fedora twice, OpenSUSE 3 times and Ubuntu twice,
52 because they kept corrupting themselves. Perhaps things have improved
53 since (well I know that Ubuntu has improved significantly over the
54 years) but nothing gives me the flexibility and breadth of choice that
55 Gentoo does.
56
57 On the other hand if one's needs are simple or conveniently met by the
58 vanilla Ubuntu or other binary distro, then perhaps that's all they
59 need to bother with. Updates are done in a matter of seconds and
60 complete version upgrades completed in a matter of minutes. I was
61 actually quite impressed last time that Ubuntu upgraded itself without
62 breaking into a sweat. Given past experience I was expecting it to
63 corrupt itself and not boot again without a bare bones reinstall - but
64 was proven wrong!
65 --
66 Regards,
67 Mick