From: "Crístian Viana" <cristiandeives@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] can't create file but disk isn't full
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 18:22:03
1 hi everyone,
2
3 something weird is happening on my system. I can't create new files, it says
4 "No space left on device", but the disk has several gigabytes of free space!
5 the output of "df -h" is:
6
7 Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
8 rootfs 35G 23G 11G 69% /
9 /dev/root 35G 23G 11G 69% /
10 rc-svcdir 1.0M 120K 904K 12% /lib64/rc/init.d
11 udev 10M 240K 9.8M 3% /dev
12 shm 974M 1.1M 973M 1% /dev/shm
13 /dev/sda6 157G 133G 17G 89% /home
14 /dev/sda1 35G 28G 7.6G 79% /mnt/windows
15
16 I'm running out of space on the home partition. it says it has 17 GB of free
17 space, but right now there's only 330 MB available (I wrote a small program
18 to create the largest file it can). this was happening before, when I had a
19 few gigabytes free, but now the [fake] available space is growing and I'm
20 losing space on my disk each day! where should I start looking for to solve
21 this problem? the filesystem of the home partition is ext4.
22
23 I don't even know if this is related to Gentoo, but that's the OS I'm
24 running :-) I'm running ~amd64, by the way.
25
26 regards.