From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] DVD drives
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 21:42:59
1 Preston Hagar wrote:
4 > On 12/7/06, *Dale* <dalek@××××××××××.net
5 > <mailto:dalek@××××××××××.net>> wrote:
6 >
7 > Preston Hagar wrote:
8 >> It seems that you may have already decided, but to throw my 2
9 >> cents in I have used the black version of the Lite-On:
10 >>
11 >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106013
12 >> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106013>
13 >>
14 >> For over a year now with much success in Gentoo.
15 >>
16 >> HTH,
17 >>
18 >> Preston
23 > May be better but my case is beige. I didn't know I put a link to
24 > a black one in there. I guess I pasted the wrong one.
25 >
26 > You think the different face plate color may be the only
27 > difference? I know we used to get drives with different color
28 > face plates a long time ago. Same drive just a different front.
29 >
30 > Thanks
31 >
32 > Dale
33 >
34 > :-) :-)
37 > I think the confusion is on my part. You did put the beige link in
38 > there. I just pasted the link of my black one instead of the beige
39 > one from your list. I am 99% sure that the only differences are the
40 > color on the face plate. If you look at the model numbers of your
41 > Lite-On link and mine, the only difference is the last digit, which in
42 > my experience is what manufactures do to signify color. The only
43 > other difference is that the beige one is OEM, so it won't come with
44 > an IDE cable or screws, but if you are just replacing an existing CD
45 > drive, that shouldn't be a problem. I would feel pretty comfortable
46 > recommending the beige Lite-On from your links. As for the others, I
47 > can't say specifically, but they all looked fine.
48 >
49 > HTH,
50 >
51 > Preston
52
53 Thanks for the info. One thing I don't want to do is buy something that
54 works but not with Linux and I can't send it back either. Being
55 disabled puts me on a tight budget and I don't want to waste money on
56 something I can't use. That is why I was asking the question.
57
58 I'm also trying to make sure whatever I get will work when I build me a
59 new system. I need to get some info on all the new stuff, SATA, PCIe
60 and all that. I have been out of that game to long. I used to keep up
61 with it by watching "The Screen Savers" but they are gone now. :-(
62
63 Thanks for the info though.
64
65 Dale