From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB Flash Drives automatic mounting breakage (Gnome)
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 11:53:49
1 2010/1/5 Alan E. Davis <lngndvs@×××××.com>:
2
3 > It seems to me that it is possible to unmount the drives manually, many
4 > times, if not always, if it is impossible to unmount them via nautilus.
5 > Other File Managers work differently, I think Thunar may be more
6 > straightforward, not sure, though.  Maybe this will all pass soon enough,
7 > but for now, on one of my machines, especially, I have to reboot
8 > frequently.  If it's hal that is at work, then perhaps I can restart that?
9 > But when I did something similar, the window manager, at least, restarted.
10
11 I'm at my machine now and can report as follows:
12
13 Mounting a USB stick manually by running:
14
15 $ pmount /dev/sda1
16
17 gives me this mounted device:
18
19 /dev/sda1 on /media/sda1 type vfat
20 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,quiet,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,gid=441,umask=077,fmask=0177,dmask=0077,iocharset=iso8859-1)
21
22 which I *cannot* unmount using Konqueror. Selecting 'safely remove'
23 does not do anything (and I can't see any messages in the logs on this
24 version of Konqueror).
25
26 Mounting the device using Konqueror allows me to unmount it both using
27 the Konqueror GUI and manually by issuing pumount /dev/sda1.
28
29 PS. I have not set up any fancy USB rules for this drive.
30 --
31 Regards,
32 Mick