From: Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To be printed or not to be printed -- that is the question
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 03:16:05
1 Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have a printout of the 2005.1-handbook and I am going to install
5 > 2006.0.
6 >
7 > Now I am asking myself, whether I need to printout the new handbook
8 > or whether there are too less changes to do so.
9 >
10 > (x86, CPU: AMD64 X2 3800+ Dual Core)
11 >
12 > Kind regards,
13 > mcc
14 >
15 You don't need to print anything out - the LiveCD has a text-based web
16 browser available. Simply write down the URL to your handbook of
17 choice, and fire up links. You can specify a site on the command line,
18 or use the G button to enter an address from inside the browser. I
19 recommend using Alt-F2 to switch to a second virtual terminal, so you
20 can run links on that while performing your installation on the first.
21 If you need live support, you can use the IRC client, irssi (although
22 most IRC servers reject connections from root, so you'll need to make
23 yourself a user first).
24
25 To actually answer your question: there *should* be no major changes to
26 the procedure. I don't remember whether the 2005.1 handbook details the
27 GCC migration, but as far as I know 2006.0 comes with the new GCC-3.4
28 already, so you could skip that portion (revdep-rebuilding and so on).
29
30 HTH.
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list