From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which VM do you recommend?
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 11:09:49
1 On Tuesday 30 Jul 2013 07:45:39 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've been running a Windows 7 (professional)guest with Virtualbox on my
5 > GenToo system for some years.
6 > But recently I have a broken network either due to Virtualbox or due to
7 > some
8 > (automatic) Windows updates.
9 >
10 > The situation is more than strange.
11 >
12 > Sometime using a backed up Virtualbox image the network seems to work
13 > but only for
14 > a very short time (some minutes?)
15 >
16 > Windows error analyzing tools don't see any network problems but it
17 > does not work.
18 >
19 > Trying ping -n 100 <IP> only a few packets come back but with a large
20 > delay (40-50 times
21 > larger delay compared to ping on the GenToo host)
24 Does ifconfig show dropped packets/errors?
25
26 Is the mtu the same on MSWindows and Linux host and router?
27
28 MSWindows can corrupt its TCP/IP stack, or if you try to modify its parameters
29 too much (size of receive/send window et al) things could go wrong. There is
30 some Microsoft fix file for this (I recall one available for WinXP at least)
31 which resets the stack to its default values.
32
33 On the odd occasion I had to stop/start an MSWindows connection which would
34 not come up on boot up, but this hasn't happened for quite some time now. It
35 might have been dodgy firmware on my router; I don' know and never found out
36 what was the cause of it, because it only happened a few times.
37 --
38 Regards,
39 Mick