From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why do I need cargo to make an initramfs?
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 11:05:39
1 Thank you.
2
3 On 5/14/22 12:36, Dale wrote:
4 > n952162 wrote:
5 >> On 5/14/22 10:44, Stefan Schmiedl wrote:
6 >>> Samstag, 14. Mai 2022 10:00:
7 >>>
8 >>>> I never needed to use cargo before, to update my kernel.  In what
9 >>>> way is
10 >>>> cargo better than earlier mechanisms to build initramfs?
11 >>> With cargo being rust's package manager, I'd hazard the guess that
12 >>> you got yourself a shiny new rust component in either your kernel
13 >>> or your initramfs content.
14 >>>
15 >>> s.
16 >>>
17 >>>
18 >> I don't get it.  Why should something built with rust require a boot
19 >> packaging tool that also requires rust?  That's like saying, if a
20 >> facility has a python component, the whole facility needs to be
21 >> distributed with pip.
22 >>
23 >> Can anyone tell me where the initramfs staging area or configuration
24 >> file is?
29 > The file(s) are in /etc/dracut.conf.d/.  I only have one file but
30 > depending on setup, you could have more than one.
31 >
32 > Hope that helps.
33 >
34 > Dale