From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT Xming] Syntax in the launch script
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 05:04:59
1 This is a little of the beaten track for this forum but there doesn't
2 seem to be a regular Xming forum. Also since my problem is related
3 to running emacs thru xming, I tried on emacs.help more than once to
4 get this figured out.
5
6 Any emacs users here will know about emacslcient, and maybe some of
7 you are experienced users. I've used it a bit but not ever very
8 consistently over time.
9
10 Right now, I'm using Xming running on Win7 to start emacs on my linux
11 destop but it runs in Xming on windows 7 desktop.
12
13 Quite a nice setup, but so far I've been loading a specific set of
14 fonts and back/fore ground colors (in emacs) ... It seems to loose
15 track of the default font when started this way.
16
17 I want to combine loading that little `library' I wrote (just a brief
18 *.el file) with the emacsclient cmdline inside the Xming launch
19 script.
20
21 It appears to be just Xml I guess.. And here is what I use now:
22 (left unwrapped)
23
24 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
25 <XLaunch xmlns="http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes XLaunch.xsd" WindowMode="MultiWindow" ClientMode="StartProgram" Program="emacsclient -s nognus -c " ClientStart="PuTTY" PasswordStart="true" RemoteHost="reader" RemoteUser="reader" Clipboard="true"/>
26
27 That starts emacs running on windows 7 based on the emacs server named
28 `nognus'
29
30 So the basic syntax, like you'd do from linux cmdline is:
31
32 emacsclient -s nognus -c
33
34 And to load the library I want loaded it is:
35
36 emacsclient -c -s nognus -e "(load-library \"xming-on-m1\")"
37
38 (xming-on-m1 sets the default font, and fore/backgrd colors)
39
40 That command line starts emacs in new frame running from the server
41 named nognus.
42
43 How to get that into the xml is the part where I'm falling down.
44
45 If you replace the cmd shown in the above xml code:
46
47 emacsclient -s nognus -c
48
49 with emacsclient -c -s nognus -e "(load-library \"xming-on-m1\")"
50
51 That fails... I've tried all different kind of escaping and such as I
52 could come up with. But it all has provoked an error along the line
53 that I have left out a needed white space at char number N.
54
55 It usually falls right at "(load somewhere.
56
57 The error pops up on the win7 desktop and is coming right from the
58 xming launch script... not from emacs.
59
60 So as a starting point, the xml code above as shown starts emacs as
61 expected.
62
63 A couple of attempts I've tried:
64
65 \"(load-library \"xming-on-m1\")\"
66
67 \"\(load-library \"xming-on-m1\"\)\"
68
69 Then double escapes and on and on.
70
71 I don't know do-do about xml but hoped that someone here would know
72 how to get the needed code past the script and on to emacs.
73
74 I'm thinking some kind of combination of escape and quote but maybe
75 I'm clear off base.