From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh connections time out
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:13:27
1 Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Dale wrote:
5 >> Billy Holmes wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> that's what the REMOTE machine will do after you connect to it, but
8 >>> before you get a prompt. This can (normally) be configured on an
9 >>> application basis to not do it.
10 >>>
11 >> OK. I read most of it, what I could get a grip on anyway. Basically
12 >> it looks to see if that IP address has a name too. Sort of silly but,
13 >> whatever works I guess.
16 > It does not stop there. It's usually used to prevent spoofing.
17 >
18 > The complete process is more or less as follows: suppose you connect with
19 > a spoofed IP address, then the remote end will do the reverse lookup to
20 > find out your dns name, do a forward lookup with the name it just found,
21 > and see if the resulting IP is the one you are connecting from.
22 >
23 > From man sshd_config:
24 >
25 > UseDNS Specifies whether sshd(8) should look up the remote host name
26 > and check that the resolved host name for the remote IP address
27 > maps back to the very same IP address. The default is ``yes''.
30 I was sort of thinking about it helping with that. I just wasn't sure
31 that would work like I was thinking. I suspected it may be a security
32 thing. It seems that most things with Linux are security related
33 anyway. That's pretty cool. Some geek got a great idea. o_O
34
35 Now it makes good sense. I think it is pretty cool that it does that,
36 even if it messed me up at first. Just wish this wouold have fixed the
37 OP's problem.
38
39 Thanks.
40