From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot error
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:55:36
1 --- James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > I have several new portables to install.
6 > On an HP9000z I reformatted the hard drive
7 > and used liveCD 2007.0. I performed the most basic
8 > installation (no X, KDE ....)
9 >
10 > The installation ran to completion. The installation
11 > process declared itself successful.
12 >
13 > Upon reboot I get this error message:
14 >
15 > Block Device /dev/sda4 is not a valid root device...
16 > The root block device is unspecified or not
17 > detected.
18 > Please specify a device to boot, or "shell" for a
19 > shell...
20 >
21 > The partitioning is quite simple
22 >
23 > sda1 ntfs vista(soon)
24 > sda2 reiserfs /boot
25 > sda3 swap
26 > ada4 reiserfs /
27 >
28 > Trying sda2 does not work either.
29 >
30 > Is the best method to rescue this install to use the
31 >
32 > minimal cd and fdisk and mark the sda2 partition as
33 > a boot.
34 >
35 > I'm about ready to use the Handbook and perform the
36 > install
37 > the old way...
38 >
39 > Any suggestions?
42 > James
43 >
44 > --
45 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
48 This same problem has been handled on gentoo-user bout
49 a billion times.
54 Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list