From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ALSA wizard...
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 00:08:13
1 On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 12:16 AM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > You sound happier in this post. I hope we're making headway. Could you post back a view of things at this point?
9 I wouldn't say happy, but at least I got to understand what the
10 interface does (I was more or less convinced the RCA part was broken!)
11
12 > ls /proc/asound
13 > cat /proc/asound/cards
14 > cat /proc/asound/devices
15 > cat /proc/asound/hwdep
16 > cat /proc/asound/pcm
17 >
18 ## ls /proc/asound/
19 card0 card1 cards CODEC devices hwdep PCH pcm seq timers version
20
21 ## cat /proc/asound/cards
22 0 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
23 HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7340000 irq 137
24 1 [CODEC ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio CODEC
25 Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio CODEC at
26 usb-0000:00:14.0-10, full speed
27
28 ## cat /proc/asound/devices
29 1: : sequencer
30 2: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
31 3: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
32 4: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
33 5: [ 0- 2]: digital audio capture
34 6: [ 0- 3]: digital audio playback
35 7: [ 0] : control
36 8: [ 1- 0]: digital audio playback
37 9: [ 1- 0]: digital audio capture
38 10: [ 1] : control
39 33: : timer
40
41 ## cat /proc/asound/hwdep
42
43 ## cat /proc/asound/pcm
44 00-00: Generic Analog : Generic Analog : playback 1 : capture 1
45 00-01: Generic Digital : Generic Digital : playback 1
46 00-02: Generic Alt Analog : Generic Alt Analog : capture 1
47 00-03: Generic Digital : Generic Digital : playback 1
48
49 > If you run alsamixer what card is it showing you when you first go in?
50 The MB card.
51 >
52 > Not knowing these applications I'm at a distance trying to make suitable suggestions. I'm fairly sure you won't like the next one...
53 >
54 > How do you feel about building Alsa as modules instead of building it into the kernel? When using modules you can blacklist other sound cards (the MB audio stuff for instance) and you get a little more visibility into what's is at least loaded. That way we could, at least as a test, run your setup as a USB only system. If at that point you can record mix audio in something like Audacity and play Audacity and Youtube through the Behringer then, I would think, we would have determined that this is an application issue.
57 Will try that, why not? (Tomorrow morning)
58
59 > While it shouldn't matter I assume you tried slack and discord with direct monitoring turned off and on? I would expect that off is the right way for an application like these but it makes sense to at least press the button to see if it changes anything.
60
61 I tried discord; I heard the sound, the other side didn't.
62 >
63 > I'm really intrigued to see if we can figure this out.
64 >
65 I'm now compiling zoom, after removing the ~amd64 from the ebuild (I
66 will not have an unstable qt all over my system). We'll see...
67
68 Thanks
69
70 Jorge