From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : mouse trouble
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 20:33:53
1 On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > My new machine boots & has the basic software installed.
3 > Fluxbox starts & I can stop it via its menu & the keyboard.
4 >
5 > However, it doesn't recognise my Logitech optical mouse,
6 > which doesn't show up in the 'dmesg' list nor as /dev/input/mouse0 .
7 >
8 > It's not a hardware problem : rebooting into System Rescue
9 > without touching the connections results in a working mouse
10 > & it is listed correctly there by 'dmesg' & as /dev/input/mouse0 .
11 >
12 > I've checked the Kernel settings & they seem all to be where they sb,
13 > but the new machine is using 3.5.3 , whereas this one uses 3.4.0 .
14 > I used the older .config , went thro' 'make oldconfig'
15 > & then thro' 'make menuconfig', so the same mouse lines should remain.
16 > Has anything changed in Kernel 3.5 ?
17 >
18 > /etc/make.conf has the line INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" , like this machine.
19 > Udev doesn't seem to differ significantly.
20 >
21 > Google doesn't help, the Gentoo Wiki seems a bit out of date,
22 > the User's Guide doesn't add anything. Unfortunately,
23 > when I started using a USB mouse back in 2007 ,
24 > I didn't make a note of what I did to get it working, as I usually do.
25 >
26 > Can anyone suggest what I'm missing ?
27
28 I recently had mouse/keyboard fail to work in X, despite drivers being
29 rebuilt, and the solution for me was to put this in my Xorg.conf file:
30
31 Section "ServerFlags"
32 Option "AutoAddDevices" "true"
33 Option "AutoEnableDevices" "true"