From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Going to multilib
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 15:11:29
1 Ok, so I have some apps that require 32 bit libraries, but I'm currently using
2 a no-multilib profile.
3
4 This page
5
6 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml
7
8 says:
9
10 "Warning: Currently you cannot switch from a no-multilib to a multilib-enabled
11 profile, so think over your decision twice before you use the no-multilib
12 profile."
13
14 Now, I know that I can install most of the emul-linux-x86-* stuff and that
15 will probably be enough for me, but I was wondering what the technical
16 problems iwould be if I just changed my /etc/make.profile to point to a
17 multilib profile. As far as I can tell, gcc and glibc would be rebuilt with
18 USE=multilib, and a new set of libraries would be installed into /lib32 and
19 /usr/lib32 (in addition to those already installed under the corresponding
20 lib64 locations). So, how would that break the existing applications?
21
22 Thanks for any insight.