From: Jure Varlec <exzombie@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is glibc ntpl+nptl-only?
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 08:22:17
1 On Friday 15 September 2006 07:07, Wolfgang Liebich wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > For my new gentoo system I switched to the latest & greatest profile -
4 > 2006.1. During the initial installation emerge told me "glibc 2.4 is
5 > nptlonly" - so I turned on the nptl and nptlonly USE flags in make.conf.
6 > Now my old linux system (profile 2006.0) tells me the same.
7 > Sooo - i guess I would have to switch to the no-nptl profile in order to
8 > keep the old (-nptl -nptlonly) settings. Is this a good Idea? Or is
9 > using nptl+nptlonly better (faster, less hassle, less memory footprint)
10 > anyways?
11 > TIA,
12 > Wolfgang Liebich
13
14 Well, the new glibc-2.4 only supports nptl, unlike glibc-2.3 which supported
15 both threading models. So if you want legacy linuxthreads, you have to stay
16 with glibc-2.3.
17 As for being "better", glibc-2.4 is better than 2.3 IMHO.
18 Also, "nptl -nptlonly" combination with 2.3 actually builds two versions of
19 glibc, one with nptl and one with linuxthreads, so you get a longer compile
20 and larger disk footprint.
21
22 Regards,
23 Jure