From: "Norman Rieß" <norman@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] homemade nas setup
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:56:53
1 Harry Putnam schrieb:
2 > A few I can think of are space and noise.. but having never been
3 > around our run a nas setup... I'm not sure if that is really true.
4 >
5 > Anyway, a few thoughts on what I might be running into doing it myself,
6 > or missing compared to storebought. Maybe maintenance
7 > considerations.. or whatever, would be welcome.
11 I am running my old AthlonXP system with 2 gig ram, a minimal
12 installation on a small extra disk, 3 disks for data as raid 5 and some
13 crypto, as a home nas. The system is build from spare parts except the
14 data disks and a small sata controller, which i had to buy. The old
15 miditower resides in a lumber-room under a shelf. So noise and space is
16 no problem. Of course you could build such a system in a smaller case.
17
18 The system only runs nfs, samba and a cups server. I do not use some
19 fancy guis or anything like that. So settings have to be made in the
20 config files manualy, except the cupsd which brings a web gui. Maybe
21 that is something some people would miss. But i do not think a gentoo
22 user would care.
23
24 As maintainence i do ,beside the regular emerge --sync and updates, a
25 raidcheck every weekend, but that can be cronjobed of course.
26
27 One point i feel mentionable is scalability. You buy a home nas with two
28 disks and you are stuck with that two disks because the case can not
29 handle more than that. Your do-it-yourself nas can do that.
30 It is a point of personal liking i think. I mean, you buy a home nas
31 click 5 minutes in the gui an you are done. Selfmade nas needs
32 understanding of the system, setting the whole thing up and some
33 configfile changes every now and then.
34
35 Regards
36 Norman