From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: nvidia-drivers vs. nouveau
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 21:17:17
1 On 11/04/12 23:38, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 >
3 > Just being curious:
4 >
5 > I use my main workstation primarily for work.
6 >
7 > Ok, gnome3 needs some graphic acceleration, aside from that I can only
8 > think of the occasional mythfrontend running on my desktop.
9 >
10 > I consider to chose nouveau drivers instead of the nvidia-drivers-package.
11 >
12 > What are your recommendations?
13
14 Unless you need to use the console (nvidia-drivers don't provide a KMS
15 fb console,) there's no reason to use Nouveau at the moment. The binary
16 drivers perform better and save much more energy. With Nouveau, your
17 GPU will be running full-on constantly. NVidia's drivers will reduce
18 clocks and voltages when the card is idle.
19
20 Other than that, you might want to use Nouveau in order to test it and
21 file bug reports for it.