From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: No console when booting with GRUB 2?
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 13:36:48
1 On 11/05/14 15:41, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > I've switched from GRUB 1 to GRUB 2 and am booting in EFI mode. Now when
3 > I boot Gentoo, I get no console. The screen is just stuck in the GRUB
4 > screen until X11 starts. I see no kernel messages. When I press
5 > Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a console, I only get a blank screen.
6 >
7 > I tried setting:
8 >
9 > GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
10 >
11 > in /etc/default/grub, but that doesn't do anything.
12 >
13 > Halp! I need my consoles back!
14
15 OK, figured it out. It's not possible to get a VGA text mode console
16 with EFI. The reason is that EFI was designed by morons. The only way to
17 get a console is to use a graphics mode framebuffer. But then my
18 graphics driver complains:
19
20 NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console
21 NVRM: on the primary VGA device. The NVIDIA Linux graphics driver
22 NVRM: requires the use of a text-mode VGA console. Use of other console
23 NVRM: drivers including, but not limited to, vesafb, may result in
24 NVRM: corruption and stability problems, and is not supported.
25
26 What a bunch of idiots.