From: marco restelli <mrestelli@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] USB installation using grub 2 and efi
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 20:45:02
1 Hi all,
2 I would like to build a bootable USB which behaves as a normal
3 installation (saving files, updates etc.) and which is reasonably
4 portable across various computers. I am following
5
6 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Install_Gentoo_on_a_bootable_USB_stick/en
7
8 which seems to describe what I am looking for. I am adapting the above
9 instructions to use grub2 with efi, using one partition for /boot and
10 another for /boot/efi .
11
12 I can boot the USB once, but then at the next reboot my hard drive
13 installation is corrupted and can not be booted anymore. I have to
14 reinstall grub from another live USB.
15
16 My questions:
17
18 1) is the above link a good reference for what I am trying to do?
19
20 2) what can corrupt the main driver when booting from the USB
21 installation?
22
23 3) is there another reference for what I am doing? (live USB are a
24 different thing, since unless I am mistaken the installation can not
25 be changed, although it is possible to mount a writable partition)
26
27 The fact that the main installation is corrupted is of course what
28 worries me most, since for this USB to be make sense I should be more
29 or less confident that at least it does not corrupt the main
30 installation.
31
32 I have no problems providing additional details, if I knew what would
33 be useful.
34
35 Thank you!
36 Marco