From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gst-plugins-*
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 01:43:44
1 On Tue, Dec 23 2014, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 7:34 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >> I shamefully had not run a --depclean for a few months.
5 >> Today I did and was surprised by the barrage of gst-plugins to be
6 >> removed.
7 >>
8 >> I have not changed any USE flags nor removed any packages.
9 >>
10 >> The plugins to remove include a large bunch where the 0.10.* version is
11 >> to go but the 1.2.* version is to stay. This I understand, but there
12 >> several where the only version present is to be removed.
13 >>
14 >> I suspect all is well and I should let --depclean do its job, but wanted
15 >> to check here that this doesn't look suspicious.
16 >
17 > As you rightly guessed, most modern software uses gstreamer-1.x,
18 > instead of gstreamer-0.10. But the changes from 0.10 to 1.0 also
19 > involved the removal of some plugins, to be replaced with new ones, or
20 > to be merged into others in some cases. So even if a 0.10 plugin is to
21 > be removed, without an equivalent one obviously available for 1.0,
22 > that doesn't mean you will loose any functionality.
23 >
24 > In most cases, having gst-plugins-meta with the right USE flags is enough.
25 >
26 > Regards.
27
28 Thanks canek; I will run --depclean.