From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE/KDM problems
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:48:02
1 Simon Windsor <simon.windsor <at> cornfield.org.uk> writes:
4 > I have just built KDE, version 3.4.1, and it is not starting properly.
5 >
6 > I have
7 >
8 > - disabled IP6 tests - it now faster to start
9 > - chmod 666 /dev/null allows kdm to start, otherwise startkde reports
10 > errors
11 > - chmod 660 /dev/dsp to grant access to users in audio group
12 >
13 > After all this, kde starts, but I still get errors with /dev/dsp.
14
15 Well, I'm not sure of your KDE versus /dev/dsp issues, so I'll
16 remind you about checking rc.conf. It change a while back, but
17 mine still has these settings:
18
19 DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"
20
21 SESSION="kde-3.4.1"
22
23 The system boots into KDE just fine. I'm not sure if the SESSION
24 setting in rc.conf is deprecated now or not....
25
26 Before running 'env-update && source /etc/profile && etc-update'
27
28 I look at the proposed list of updates to config files that
29 etc-update wants to perform. If I have a question about the
30 files to be updated, I make a backup of the file with the current
31 date appended. That way, you can recover config files
32 or look at them over time to see how they have changed.
33 /etc/rc.conf is a good example....
37 HTH,
38 James
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list