From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smartctl and external hard drives
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 16:41:54
1 J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >
5 > >I have a couple of external hard drives -- one is a 1.5t disk which has
6 > >failed and the other is a brand new Seagate 3t disk -- both in USB
7 > >enclosures one a Roseweil USB 3 and the other one a Startech USB 3.
8 > >When I run smartctl against them, the newer one gives a serial number
9 > >which Seagate says is not correct, and I get the message from both that
10 > >Smart is not supported. I am running unstable with kernel
11 > >3.6.2-gentoo.
14 > >Anyone know what is going on here?
15 > >
16 > >Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
17 > >
18 > >--
19 > >Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
20 > >How do
21 > >you spend it?
22 > >
23 > > John Covici
24 > > covici@××××××××××.com
25 >
26 > Unless the controller in the enclosure supports SMART, it won't work.
27 >
28 > If you can remove the drive from the enclosure. Connect it directly to your mainboard. It should work then on recent mainboards.
29
30 OK, thanks, I did not know that the enclosure itself had to support
31 smart. I have never seen any information either way about any enclosure
32 and removing it and connecting internally is not an option -- I just
33 want to check periodically.
36 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
37 How do
38 you spend it?
39
40 John Covici