From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo ADSL wireless router (3 questions)
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 23:54:52
1 I set up my spare Gentoo box up as a wireless router for my new
2 Verizon ADSL connection by following the instructions here:
3
4 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/home-router-howto.xml
5
6 My setup is a little different though because I'm using a madwifi card
7 to provide wireless access. Things are working really well, but I've
8 got a couple questions I'm hoping someone can help with.
9
10 1. I can't actually get:
11
12 config_eth0="adsl"
13
14 to work. It always says: TIMED OUT. I'm using:
15
16 config_eth0="dhcp"
17
18 instead which times out half the time and half the time gets me the IP
19 192.168.1.47 and provides connection to the Internet. Isn't that
20 weird? Is it even checking my username/password that's in the
21 ppp/pppoe config files?
22
23 2. I followed the instructions at the above link to set up iptables.
24 When I try to ssh into the router from another machine on the network,
25 I get "Connection refused." I'm guessing it's from the firewall. Is
26 there a good utility that will allow me to manage the firewall?
27
28 3. I'm using iwconfig and WEP right now, but I'd really like to use
29 WPA. I believe wpa_supplicant is the way to do that. I tried to set
30 up wpa_supplicant in mode=1 on the router, but the ath0 interface
31 times out when I try to start it. I took the config straight from
32 wpa_supplicant.conf.example:
33
34 network={
35 ssid="mynetwork"
36 mode=1
37 proto=WPA
38 key_mgmt=WPA-NONE
39 pairwise=NONE
40 group=TKIP
41 psk="mypassphrase"
42 }
43
44 Can anyone help with any of this stuff?
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list