From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: fluxbox without xorg-server? How do you start X?
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 00:14:00
1 On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:05:28 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > > A curses setup program should please the frugal engineers, or would
4 > > you prefer to alter the MySQL table files with a hex editor? ;-)
5 >
6 > I usually do one of three things:
7 >
8 > 1) Type SQL commands.
9 >
10 > 2) Use Mythweb.
11 >
12 > 3) Run the setup program so that it displays on a different
13 > machine.
16 > That last option is clumsy, since it takes forever to start up,
17 > is sluggish once it is running, and I find the UI used by the
18 > setup programs to be obtuse: arrow, and enter keys never do
19 > what I expect them to (and I've been using Myth for 6+ years
20 > now).
21
22 You can't do stuff like channel scanning with the first two, so running
23 mythtv-setup over SSH is the only option, which means you need qt3 and X
24 libs on a headless server :(
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 And God said "Let there be light" and there was light.
31 There was still nothing, but you could see it better.