From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Update or Install again? Testing vs. stable?
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 03:41:21
1 I have questions (for one of my machines, running ~amd64) whether it
2 is worth it to update/upgrade or whether to reinstall from scratch.
3 Another machine that melted down three months ago is being rebuilt
4 with a new motherboard, and new technology; I am installing from
5 scratch for obvious reasons in this case; but I would like to solicit
6 comments about my plan to use only a straight stable version (with
7 single packages unmasked only). I'll try to be brief, but I beg in
8 advance the indulgence of the list for an overlength posting. And I
9 apologize for going over territory once again that has been covered
10 elsewhere.
11
12 My ~amd64 machine has an extremely large number of packages, many of
13 them for multimedia viewing, DVD burning, editing DVDs, graphics,
14 latex---a large variety of applications many of them which can be used
15 simultaneously at any given time. The system is amazing, and I
16 suspect that any other distro would fall over under this diversity of
17 processes. In particular, I have had good success editing videos with
18 avidemux---but only with the most up to date overlay! The machine has
19 gotten tangled into a knot that seems to be almost impossible to get
20 all the way up to date at one time. At least for me. I received
21 amazingly clear and lucid advice on how to get up to date, upgrade the
22 compiler, and rebuild, revdep-rebuild, etc., etc.; but with my
23 unreliable connectivity over the summer, I was unable to get the
24 machine to an absolutely clean state to start that process.
25
26 It took a tremendous amount of time, months, to setup all of these
27 packages; maintenance of the system also demands not only a fast
28 network connection, but also a lot of time. It's not going to be easy
29 to reinstall this system in it's current form. Perhaps it's
30 necessary, however. The usual advice about updating is something like
31 "it isn't necessary; there is no such thing as versions with Gentoo".
32 But with at least three major upgrade bugs to overcome (xorg-x11 /
33 nvidia-drivers; compiler upgrades; revdep-rebuild failures; changes in
34 network administration, to name a few issues) I wonder whether it
35 isn't just as easy to install afresh.
36
37 Because my time is taken up with teaching and science, I don't have
38 unlimited time for system maintenance. I need to have access to
39 recent updates of some software packages, like avidemux, which only in
40 recent incarnations has been able to deal with the avi files my video
41 capture device generates. So I am thinking to run a stable (amd64 or
42 x86) version, and only install the necessary packages as ~arch. I
43 want to ask the intelligentsia how much difference will that make. I
44 am afraid I have not been as useful to the group as I might have been
45 at reporting bugs, but I found a large number of packages able to run
46 amd64.
47
48 The same goes for the newly cobbled together machine with an amd64
49 processor, and a gateway laptop that has been running gentoo but I've
50 been running on Ubuntu because of trouble understanding the docs on
51 how to use WPA authentication on the school wireless network. I am
52 going to either reinstall gentoo or (if I haven't buggered it yet)
53 upgrade, so the same questions apply.
54
55 I might add that my experience with Ubuntu, after running gentoo only
56 for 9 months, has been interesting: Ubuntu is pretty amazing, but it
57 has nowhere near the polish of Gentoo. The newest betas are really
58 amazing---edgy eft knot2, and the new Gnome very interesting; however,
59 at almost every turn the Gentoo packages, out of the box with fairly
60 mundane USE flags, are MUCH more serviceable, the details have been
61 taken care of, and I believe Gentoo to be much more stable.
62
63 TIA,
64
65 Alan Davis
66 --
67 Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan lngndvs@×××××.com 1-670-256-2043
68
69 I consider that the golden rule requires that if I like a program I
70 must share it with other people who like it.
71 --------Richard Stallman
72 --
73 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list