From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ssh -X problem [no help sofar on ssh group]
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 12:42:11
1 On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 6:25 AM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Still kind of puzzled about how ssh determines, when -Y is used, when
4 > xll-forwardings are `TRUSTED'.
7 When -Y is used, all forwarding is trusted, and when -X is used
8 nothing is trusted. With -Y all ssh does is forward X11 traffic to
9 the X server unfiltered. With -X there is an X11 security extension
10 that gets used to prevent some things like keyboard snooping. X11 is
11 pretty weak from a security standpoint - in its normal state any X
12 client can do all kinds of stuff that could compromise security, like
13 capture keyboard input to a window owned by another client. So, your
14 music player can keylog your browser session/etc. Obviously remote X
15 clients further compounds this.
16
17 -X is supposed to protect against some of these issues, but it doesn't
18 work on Gentoo. I'd have to research why again - I forget if it was
19 an ssh issue, or an xorg issue.
22 Rich