From: Nilesh Govindarajan <contact@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone can afford information about build kernel?
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 05:56:28
1 On Sun 09 Oct 2011 10:23:50 AM IST, Lavender wrote:
2 > Yeah, your reply is exact what I mean , but I'm really confused by
3 > those modules' names, I can't find any contact between the hard device
4 > name and its module name . For example, there is a module named
5 > 3c59x.ko , I totally don't know what device it present for , I mean I
6 > can't figure out that which module correspond to which device though I
7 > know the hard devices consisted of my PC. So I need information about
8 > contact between them so that I could know what modules need to be
9 > chosen in kernel , also the options of kernel are quiet a lot ,
10 > there're many features that I never heard , I want to find them out .
11 > May be you think these problems are too easy , but I have never
12 > contacted them before . Forum I visited and books about Linux I readed
13 > are both not mentioned them , so I wish you all could instruct me.
14
15 Kernel module names are usually named according to a specific naming
16 scheme like <name of product manufacturer><name of model number>.ko
17 So here, 3c59x.ko is 3COM 59X device. 3COM ethernet cards are quite
18 common.
21 Nilesh Govindarajan
22 http://nileshgr.com