From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - MythTV recording - file size
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 11:18:13
1 On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 00:00:47 -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
2
3 > I recorded a two-hour movie off telivision this evening. I watched it
4 > and it looks fine, but the file size is really big: 4.3GB. Is this
5 > normal?
6
7 Certainly. The size depends on the quality at which it has been recorded,
8 and this is about the right size for a DVD quality MPEG. Of course
9 recording from broadcast TV at DVD quality is rather pointless.
10
11 > Is there
12 > anything I can do to get the file size down so that it can fit on a CD?
13
14 ffmpeg is probably the easiest way to do this, but make sure you emerge
15 it with the doc USE flag or you won't get the man page, which contains
16 some examples of this sort of thing.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?