From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Very recent change in behavior of gmail imap/smtp servers
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 03:10:39
1 On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 21:45:23 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > walt wrote:
5 > > On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 02:11:48 +0000 (UTC)
6 > > Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >>> Google has just introduced a 120-second delay before allowing
9 > >>> login to their email servers. Just in the last day or two,
10 > >>> literally.
11 > >> I'm not seeing that with either of my gmail accounts. Same login
12 > >> times as always (1-2 seconds) on both IMAP and SMTP servers.
13 > > That info amazes me, but gives me even more evidence for a
14 > > conspiracy theory :) My ISP (att.com) may be responsible for this
15 > > new delay.
16 > >
17 > > att is involved with the ongoing net-neutrality battles here in the
18 > > US with netflix et alia, so why not add yet another fuzz-factor to
19 > > the mix.
20 > >
21 > > I hope my email still works when I wake up tomorrow morning...
27 > Makes me wonder. Sometimes when I go to facebook, it doesn't come up
28 > on first or second try. I've seen that with other sites as well.
29 > Hmmmmm. When I get a error, it is instant. It seems to be so instant
30 > that it doesn't even have time to do a DNS lookup much less hit the
31 > website.
32 >
33 > By the way, I use AT&T too. DSL after many years of dial-up.
34
35 I just tried entering the number of the beast ;) 8.8.8.8
36 into /etc/resolv.conf and that reduced my waiting time from 120
37 seconds to 30 seconds (actual measurement by stopwatch).
38
39 I'm done playing now until morning...