From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] weird gnome vol control behaviour
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:48:48
1 Hi all,
2
3 Just got a new Dell Precision M6300, with Intel audio which identifies
4 as:
5
6 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
7 Controller (rev 02)
8
9 and uses the good ol' snd_hda_intel module
10 (2.6.25-tuxonice-r4). /etc/modprobe.d/alsa is full of the usual guff:
11
12 alias char-major-116 snd
13 alias char-major-14 soundcore
14 alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
15 alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
16 alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
17 alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
18 alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
19 alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
20 alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
21 alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
22 alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
23 options snd cards_limit=1
24
25 Now to the problems: The Gnome volume control app
26 (gnome-volume-control) doesn't always show all mixers, nor does alsa
27 restore the mixer settings the same. gnome-volume-control starts in
28 various ways, the most common like this:
29
30 1:
31 Master vol
32 Front vol (muted)
33 no PCM fader
34
35 2:
36 Master vol
37 Front vol (muted)
38 PCM fader present
39
40 The problem with the first instance, is that I use the PCM volume as a
41 "master" because it's the only channel that controls both the headphones
42 and the front speakers. If I remove and then add the applet, the
43 correct faders usually (but not always) appear.
44
45 The second problem I have, is that when changing the volume level using
46 a stereo slider, the stereo "lock" keeps unlocking, and I end up
47 changing one channel only. This can happen immediatly, so it is not
48 possible to change both channels together, or only occasionally.
49
50 And the third problem, is that the media volume hotkeys (those extra
51 keys labelled mute, play, pause, etc) only seem to change the channel
52 named "Master", and not a channel of my choosing (Master is only good
53 for the built-in speakers, not the headphone or digital outputs).
54
55 I've played with various options in /etc/conf.d/alsasound and other misc
56 things, but I can't seem to make a difference. I never had this problem
57 with my last ~x86 laptop, but it had different hw.
58
59 thanks for any tips!
63 Einstein argued that there must be simplified explanations of nature, because
64 God is not capricious or arbitrary. No such faith comforts the software
65 engineer.
66 - Fred Brooks, Jr.
69 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list