From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] QEMU setup questions
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 23:35:18
1 On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 10:17:41AM +0100, Kerin Millar wrote
2 > That's correct if you want optimal performance in
3 > X.org. The best option is -vga vmware in conjunction with
4 > x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware.
5
6 The last time I used qemu a few years ago, I ended up running wine
7 from the guest as an X client, using the host's display. The display
8 was native, and faster than the emulation. I also didn't have to build
9 the full-blown X-server on the guest. Here are my latest scripts/commands
10
11 1) The install startup script
12
13 #!/bin/bash
14 sudo /usr/bin/qemu-kvm \
15 -vga vmware \
16 -vnc :2 \
17 -redir tcp:60022::22 \
18 -cpu qemu32 \
19 -m 3072 \
20 -hda sda.raw -hdb sdb.raw -cdrom installx86.iso -boot d
21
22 2) Launching vncviewer
23
24 vncviewer localhost:2
25
26 3) ssh from the guest to the host
27
28 ssh root@localhost
29
30 4) ssh from the host to the guest
31
32 ssh -p 60022 root@localhost
35 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
36 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications