From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: Backing up emails
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 14:24:44
1 Hi guys,
2
3 I know this isnt really a gentoo question but you always seem to come with an amazing
4 answer in the end ;)
5
6 I've got a friend who uses dreamhost for mail, and he's trying to move away from it to
7 something a little more customisable.
8
9 The problem is that he has around 2.5Gb of mail in various IMAP folders on this
10 server. I'm trying to find some way of downloading all this mail but keeping in its
11 current folder structure.
12
13 I was hoping fetchmail could do it but it doesn't appear (after a quick read) to
14 support arbitrary folders. I am almost thinking of contacting dreamhost support and
15 asking if they can tar up the maildirs and give me access to them via FTP or
16 something.
17
18 I'm hoping someone here has an idea for something that will let me make a copy of all
19 his mail, in the current folder structure and replicate it onto another machine.
20
21 Grateful for any help,
22
23 Matt Harrison