From: "Elaine C. Sharpe" <elaine@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Flash Player / Firefox trouble
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 08:48:26
1 In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
2 > On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de>
6 >>>  wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>>
9 >>>> On 02/19/2011 11:08 PM, Elaine C. Sharpe wrote:
10 >>>>
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>> [...]
13 >>>>> I do wish netflix would go with something other than silverlight
14 >>>>> though, running win7 in vbox works but I shouldn't have to do all
15 >>>>> that...
16 >>>>>
17 >>>>
18 >>>> Doesn't the Moonlight Firefox add-on work?
19 >>>>
20 >>>
21 >>> What I've read is that moonlight doesn't handle the Netflix DRM
22 >>> issues. Does anyone know differently?
23 >>>
24 >>> I'm still using a Window VM to watch Netflix.
25 >>>
26 >>> - Mark
27 >>>
28 >>>
29 >>>
30 >>
31 >> I use Firefox and the download manager.  I just download the video and watch
32 >> it with (s)(k)(m)player locally.  That also gives me the option of saving
33 >> them locally and not having to download them again if I want to watch them
34 >> more than once.  I'm sure AT&T likes that part.
35 >>
36 >> So far, I have not had much trouble with doing it this way.  Other than the
37 >> video being lost when changing tabs.  Well, I did have on download that
38 >> failed and only go the first part of the video.  I think my DSL modem did
39 >> its reset thingy.  It does that once a day.
40 >>
41 >> Dale
42 >>
43 >> :-)  :-)
47 > Where are you finding links on Netflix pages that allows you to start
48 > a movie download? I'm not finding that at all using Firefox. Are you
49 > digging into page source or something?
50 >
51 > - Mark
52
53 Pretty sure he wasn't referring to netflix.
54 AFAIK no-one has cracked the DRM on silverlight streams
55 yet, and microsoft has no plans to update moonlight.
56 Ironic that the excuse is "pirates!" -- their restrictive
57 policy has me downloading things I wouldn't bother with
58 otherwise, so I suspect the effect is the opposite of
59 what they intend. Whoever thought, "if it's not available
60 they'll just have to do without" was truly not very bright.
63 caveat utilitor