From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NTFS free space disappeared
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 17:12:46
1 On Saturday 20 September 2008 16:16:41 Stroller wrote:
2 > I can't tell you how long this went on for - I am sure that less than
3 > 100 food orders would typically be taken per day, so it would surely
4 > have taken forever to fill even the c 6gig drives that were standard
5 > at the time,  but I have an idea that the software perhaps started
6 > making repeated attempts to write the data files, resulting in more
7 > empty files on the disk.
8 >
9 > In any case, you can imagine the results. Dialing in using PC Anywhere
10 > over 56k was slow at the best of times - the GUI was particularly slow
11 > once the machine ran out of disk space & pagefile, whilst deleting
12 > these kazillions of zero-length files took several hours.
13
14 Well I *did* say it was not impossible :-) See what I did there - I built a
15 catch-all opt-out clause into my post so I could always be at least partially
16 right, hehehehe
17
18 I shudder to ask, but I will anyway - how many files? Any idea?
21 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com