From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rearranging hard drives and data.
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 18:55:57
1 On 19/12/2020 17:32, Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 07:02:23 -0600, Dale wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I have another question related to LVM.  Let's say a system crashes and
6 >>> dies.  Or I just move a drive, or drives, with LVM on it to another
7 >>> system.  Does the system just recognize the drives and knows how to add
8 >>> them or do I have to do that manually on the new system?
9 >> It should just work if you move all the PVs in the volume group. One
10 >> thing to watch out for is if the destination system is already using LVM,
11 >> the volume groups must be named differently. That's why I always use
12 >> unique VG names based on the hostname.
15 > Ahhh, so it stores the info on the drive so that it knows what it is.
16 > Neato!!  I was thinking it was in /etc/lvm/ or something.  I've wondered
17 > about that for a while now.
18
19 mdadm version 0 stored its information in mdadm.conf. That was a mistake
20 - it had the downside you couldn't boot from the array, it was wide open
21 to errors, arrays were regularly trashed because things had got
22 confused, etc etc. Sticking all the necessary information in a
23 superblock is now considered must-do good practice.
24 >
25 > Naming them based on hostname is also a good idea.  I don't have mine
26 > named that way but if I ever redo them, I will.  It could save me some
27 > problems down the road.
28 >
29 Again, that's now the default for mdadm - not necessarily the user name,
30 but the internal array name is something like "tigger:0", to quote one
31 of mine - array 0 created on tigger.
32
33 Cheers,
34 Wol