From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Shutting down process hangs - how to proceed?
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 01:57:10
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I am updateing my Gentoo on a dialy basis.
5 > Since two days the shutdown process of the systems
6 > hangs around "Bringing down net.lo".
7 > Booting the PC is not a problem -- except the
8 > "replaying transactions" (resierfs).
9 >
10 > I fear to finally damage the filesystem while trying
11 > to figure out, why the shutdown process does not
12 > succeed.
13 >
14 > How can I proceed?
15 > What is suspicous for hanging the shutdown process?
16 > Every help is very welcome ! :)
17 >
18 > Thank you very much in advance!
19 > Keep hacking!
20 > mcc
24 I don't know about the reason it hangs but this may help get you a
25 cleaner shutdown. This is taken from a email that was sent to me during
26 that horrible xorg-server and hal upgrade.
27
28 > Hold down Atl, hold down SysRq, press each of the keys in turn. The
29 > usual full sequence is R-E-I-S-U-B Reboot Even If System Utterly
30 > Broken By ${DEITY} - this tagline picker is spooky at times :-O
31 > -- Neil Bothwick
32
33 I tried this once when I was unable to get my keyboard to respond to
34 anything else. I made it through the first three or four and was
35 returned to a console with a working keyboard. Since you are shutting
36 down, you may want to go through them all to be safe. I think the last
37 one does a reboot.
38
39 Hope that helps.
40