From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] mount: "special device /dev/hdc does not exist". What does this mean?
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:52:36
1 Hi, Gentoo?
2
3 I've a newly installed system, now working with my own special
4 optimiesed keyboard layout. :-)
5
6 However, I can't access my DVD drives. I know at least one of them
7 works, because I installed Gentoo from it.
8
9 When I do
10
11 mount -tiso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom
12
13 , it comes back with "special device /dev/hdc does not exist". And yes,
14 there was a CD in the drive, and /cdrom exists.
15
16 What does "special device" mean here? Does it mean the physcial
17 hardware, the controller chip, the directory entry /dev/hdc, the driver
18 in the kernel, or what? What is "special" about my DVD writer?
19
20 Well, to answer some of my questions, I was missing a /dev/hdc, so I
21 made one with
22
23 # mknod /dev/hdc b 22 0
24
25 . This didn't help one iota. I had a look at dmesg, but there was no
26 mention of hdc in it. (It did mention hdg, hdh, where my main hard
27 drives are (don't ask!)).
28
29 My kernel is an up to date linux-2.6.25-gentoo-r6. I _think_ it's got
30 all the needed options set in the configuration. Can anybody suggest
31 how to get my system to recognise my DVD drives?
32
33 Thanks in advance!
36 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
37 --