From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Ethernet card for puter
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 00:20:07
1 Howdy all,
2
3 I saw the guys running fiber optic cable today, in front of MY house.
4 It wasn't supposed to be here until next year.  I almost fainted from
5 the excitement.  I got a router a while back that is 1Gb ready.  They
6 supply the modem.  I still have a old 100Mb network card in my puter
7 tho.  So, it needs updating, after all these years of faithful service.
8 I found one and this is the model number and such for it, description
9 too.  "Dell V5XVT-FH Intel I350-T2 DP 1GB PCIe Ethernet Network Card"
10
11 I don't really care about brand as long as it is a reliable product.
12 That one is Dell,  I'm fine with any brands as long as they aren't bad
13 to blow smoke on the 2nd or 3rd power up.  :/  I'm almost certain I have
14 PCIe ports available.  I think that's what the current card is in
15 actually.  Thing is, this has two ports and so does about all I see,
16 except for those with 4 ports.  Will having 2 ports cause any problems?
17 Most likely, one won't be connected at all.  I just want to be sure that
18 it won't cause any issues or that using both is required for some reason
19 I never heard of.
20
21 They think we should be connected in a few months.  Cables comes first
22 then they set up the control boxes etc etc.  I'm going with a package
23 that will be about 300 times faster and only cost about $10 a month more
24 than my wimpy DSL.  Oh crap.  I need to expand my hard drive space
25 again.  Glad I use LVM.  LOL  I thought I had another year to deal with
26 that too.
27
28 Thoughts on that card?  Work fine?
29