From: Valmor de Almeida <val.gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtualbox + kernel panic 2.6.38-r2
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 05:00:35
1 On 05/31/2011 01:31 PM, James wrote:
2 > Anyone having any problems with VirtualBox and kernel panics?
3 >
4 > I've tried vbox 3 and 4, both with the same behavior. Installing
5 > Windows 7 as a guest and either (a) my system will completely freeze
6 > (I'm assuming the kernel panicked), or (b) I'm thinking the Linux raid
7 > module dies because the system becomes unresponsive (although I can
8 > open a terminal, the shell doesn't come up, browser freezes, etc.).
9 > The only fix for both of these problems is a hard reboot.
10 >
11 > I have on idea how to go about troubleshooting this issue. I'd hate to
12 > open a ticket with the vbox folks until I have more information.
13 >
14 > The only thing I've read online that may be applicable is that there
15 > have been some issues with kernel panics when you give the guest OS
16 > more than 1 processor. It would suck badly if SMP didn't work well on
17 > vbox.
18 >
19 > Thoughts?
20 > -james
23 I am running vbox 4.0.8 on
24
25 -> emerge --info
26 Portage 2.1.9.42 (default/linux/amd64/10.0, gcc-4.4.5, libc-0-r0,
27 2.6.38-gentoo-r6 x86_64)
28
29 with only one Win7 VM on a dual core laptop. It works fine and I use CAD
30 software that only runs on Windows.
31
32 What does your VBox.log say?
35 Valmor